Wednesday, January 27, 2010

And they're off and racing...

I hope everyone had a happy and safe Australia day. We caught up with friends and made our way to the mud crab races at the bowls club. The crabs were auctioned off, the money going to children with special needs, and the crabs went from $25 to $60 each. There were thrifty crabs in total, if you count the one that seems to have expired before the race, but had been paid for nonetheless. My husband went in on two crabs, the first hardly moved and the other one came second in it's heat.
I have never in my life seen crab racing before, but it was quite amusing.
Five crabs were put in the middle of the ring for each heat and the first one to make it over both circles was the winner. A winner from each heat made it to the final round.
(Sorry about the photos, it was too dark inside without the flash and it was quite crowded and difficult to take photos.)
Unfortunately I had to leave early because I wasn't feeling well and I missed my husband winning the thong throwing competition. Alas, I hadn't even had a single drink. Very un-Australian.How was your Australia day? How did you spend the day?
(Blogger, why are you underlining everything now?)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...