Monday, December 31, 2012

A year of knitting

2012 Knitting
2012 Knitting
L-R: Emerson's blanket, Imogen Cowl, Baby Blanket,
Cabled hot water bottle cozy I, The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief, Cozy II
Ripple Blanket, Toast, Kerchief II

I wondered what I should write about for the last post of the year. It has been a year full of many things. The birth of our daughter, the growth of our son, establishing a vegetable garden, renovating our house, a move to greater self sufficiency with a water tank and solar power, and so much else besides. But when I thought about it I was reminded that my intention when I began blogging was to have a record of my creative endeavors. While the blog has changed and grown, that intention has remained. First as I sewed and quilted, then as I crocheted and silver-smithed and now as I knit. In terms of craft I think it is safe to say that 2012 has been my year of knitting.

Were it not for Ravelry I would probably not be able to tell you that last year I knitted eight projects. (Though I could tell you that prior to that I had really knit nothing more than a few garter stitch scarves.) This year though my total stands at seventeen. More than double my previous figure, as I moved away from crochet towards knitting, and my confidence grew. This total includes my works in progress, and a single sock that is destined never to have a mate. But I am still counting it. I knitted a sock! I never thought I would be able to knit a sock.

It's been so encouraging to have the blog and Ravelry to chart my progress as a knitter. I learnt much this year, from knitting in the round on dpn's to the magic loop method, long tail cast on to provisional cast on, turning a heel and knitting lace. There have been many knitting related posts on the blog as I shared my journey. The most popular being the Ten things I have learnt about knitting post, and the posts Anyone can knit I and II. It's a joy that my creative pursuits can inspire and encourage others.

Thank you for sharing the journey with me this past year, for your visits and comments. Thank you for those who took part in the Christmas Ornament Swap and the Twelve Days of Christmas giveaways. Thank you to those who have supported my shop and encouraged me.

I look forward to sharing this space with you again in 2013 and continuing our conversations. Wishing you a wonderful New Year!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...