Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Yarn Along

Yarn Along

Yarn Along

This dear old teddy must be over fifty years old. He has been passed down through the family and now belongs to Cohen. He is sporting a new scarf, which was knit at the request of my four year old son. Teddy was going to get cold come Winter, so I am told. I started a garter stitch scarf, quickly got bored of it and devised a simple cable pattern instead. Cohen was more impressed with the fringe on the ends...

If you have never cabled before, this is a quick and simple pattern to learn with. Creating the twist is as simple as slipping three stitches on to another needle, knitting the next three stitches, then knitting the stitches you have slipped. There is a clear video example I found here, though I use a cable needle, not a double pointed needle. 

CO 16 stitches.
Row 1. P2, K2, P6, K2,P3
Row 2. K3, P2, K6, P2, K3
Row 3. P3, K2, P6, K2, P3
Row 4. K3, P2, C6F, P2, K3
Row 5. P3, K2, P6, K2, P3
Row 6. K3, P2, K6, P2, K3
Row 7. P3, K2, P6, K2, P3
Row 8. K3, P2, K6, P2, K3

My scarf is 16 repeats. To make the fringe I cut lengths of yarn about four inches long. I folded them in half and using a crochet hook, pulled them one at a time through a stitch along the bottom edge (WS) to create a loop, then pulled the tails through the loop. I did this the whole way along and then cut them back to the same length.
\
In terms of reading I have just started Cloudstreetby Tim Winton, for book club. Have you read it? Are you a fan?

What are you knitting and reading?

-

Joining in with Ginny.

-

Don't forget to enter the High Tea Vintage Giveaway for a pretty and practical everyday/ knitting bag.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...