Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Rhythm of our Days

Bump progress - 22 weeks + 4 days. This little bubba gets hiccups a lot, just like Cohen did. Braxton hicks (practice contractions) started at 16 weeks and always manage to strike at the most uncomfortable times - like when I have the hiccups, or while cr
More goodies for an upcoming collection! I love the feel and the sound of glass beads, don't you? #glassbeads #colourlove #artistspalettecollection
On my bench tonight - custom order opal ring and new pieces in progress for the Sentimental Collection. There will be three new designs in the shop soon. :) #handmadejewellery #sentimentalcollection #silversmith
It's Sunday. A great day for baking rosella jam drop biscuits, working on a commission and standing clear as the boys put a stump grinder to work in the back yard. How's your Sunday? #sundaysunday #baking

We have been finding new rhythms and routines these past week, and as a result my dear blog has been a little neglected. After eight school days - eight days of being a Prep Mother - I feel as if I we have found our rhythm. Oh, the joyous juggle of stay at home motherhood, home life, school, work and life in general. I am often asked how I do what I do. For those who are interested, and for my future self, our new routines these days go a little like this -

5.15: Emerson wakes up and comes in to bed for cuddles. 
5.30: Dave gets ready for work and leaves.
6.00 - 6.30: Cohen comes in for cuddles and then we three get up and have breakfast.
7.00 - 8.00: After half an hour of nagging Cohen has dressed himself, I have made the beds, emptied the dishwasher, done the hand washing, put a load of clothes in the wash, tidied up, vacuumed, emptied the bins and had a shower with Emerson and dressed us, done homework with Cohen and am herding my two little ones out the door.
8.10: Emerson jumps in the stroller and we walk Cohen the 500 meters to school, wait with the other kids, walk him in to class and see his art and craft, say our goodbyes and head home again.
8.45 - 11.00: Hang clothes out on line, put laundry away, fold cloth nappies, answer emails etc. play with Emerson, run errands, go to library or post office, go to Playgroup once a week, do the groceries once a week.
11.00 - 1.00: Put Emerson down for a nap and head in to my studio, or sit down at the computer (edit photos, upload new pieces, write blurbs, blog)/ or give in to pregnancy weariness and have a nap myself!
1.00: Make lunch, tidy up again. 
2.05: Emerson is back in the pram and we are walking back up to the school to pick up Cohen.
2.30 - 4.30: Home again, encouraging Cohen to get changed, doing homework with him, supervising 'Reading Eggs', playing in the back yard, taking clothes off the line.
4.30 - 5.30: Dave home, catch up, sit down for five minutes, start organising dinner.
5.30 - 6.00: Dave baths the little ones while I make dinner.
6.00 - 6.15: Encourage Cohen to eat his dinner - and encourage and encourage and encourage...
6.15 - 6.30: Story time! Both kids climb on to Cohen's bed while I read them a story or three. Meanwhile Dave clears the kitchen and loads the dishwasher. Tuck Cohen in.
6.30 - 6.45: Sit with Emerson while she falls asleep.
6.45 - 7.30: Pack lunchboxes, make overnight oats for breakfast, hang out with my husband awhile.
7.30 - 9.30: Leave Dave to watch a tv show or movie and head down to the workshop - to pack orders for posting, work at the bench on custom orders, repairs and new stock. Then head to bed, exhausted and happy.
5.15 am: Repeat above.

Somewhere in there I am trying to make room for blogging, writing in my diary, drawing new designs, keeping up to date with Project Life, digging in the garden, talking on the phone, handwriting letters to my sister in Canberra, playing with the cats, picking flowers, listening to pod casts, reading books, a spot of knitting, Sunday baking for school, ordering supplies (packaging, consumables, pearls etc.) for the shop and getting organised to apply for Brisbane Finders Keepers in July (despite the fact that I will have a five week old baby at the time. If I do get in you, will find me behind my new table with a baby in a sling.)

Now more than ever it feels so important to me to find time to slow down, appreciate the little things, stay in our pajamas all day, take photographs and document the moments that are passing by so quickly - and not neglect my blog.

How do you juggle it all and maintain balance?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...