Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Raglan and Lace Jacket

Raglan and lace

Raglan and lace

Raglan and lace

I cast off this little jacket on the weekend. I think it's a great pattern for intermediate knitters like myself. It introduced me to some new techniques and challenged me to try my first charted lace pattern - four rows to build  my confidence.

The knit is worked from the bottom up with the button bands knit as you go, so no picking up stitches or joining later. The sleeves are worked on double pointed needles and then slipped into gaps on the circular needles, making the piece nearly completely seamless, with only two small gaps under the sleeves. The challenging part is working the charted lace section while also remembering the button bands and the raglan sleeve decreases.

This is best achieved when a toddler isn't trying to sit on you, though more advanced knitters may be able to manage it.


Pattern: DROPS Design (free)
Yarn: Moda Vera Pure Wool 8ply
Buttons: from the thrifted/gifted button stash
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...