Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Yarn Along

yarn along home sic

I'm still impressed each time I make a cable stitch and see those lovely twists forming as the work grows. Cables were one of the allures of learning to knit. I loved the look of them. They seemed complex and intimidating. I thought that once I mastered the cable I would be able to knit practically anything. While unfortunately that was not the case, cables are one of my favourite things to knit. I'm currently knitting another cabled hot water bottle cozy.

The beauty and skill of poetry have always fascinated me. The more I read and learn, the more I am drawn to the charms of poetry. I was pleased to visit the Queensland Poetry Festival on the weekend and hear Robert Adamson read. While there, I brought a copy of home{sic} by Brisbane poet Julie Beveridge. I have been dipping in to it's pages when the children offer me moments of quiet. I have uncovered many little jewels already, such as these lines from the poem the last friday night flown solo

cab driver
right turns you into me
left turns you
out again  

I think Jacqueline Turner summed it better than I could hope to when she observed that, "Julie Beveridge writes domestic scenarios like no other. She combines love with stark observation to create nuanced images that are real, not staged. There is no fakery here, just beautifully strange words that arrive at the heart, making it ache and sing in equal measure." 

-

Joining in with Ginny's Yarn Along.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...