Friday, September 21, 2012

Kindness

+

+

+

+

Yesterday three gentlemen made my day. 

It was grocery shopping day and I was in the car park. Cohen was standing next to the car while I unfastened Emerson, when an older man walked past and asked in a concerned voice where his Mummy was, unable to see me half in the car. He looked embarrassed when I stood up and spoke to him, poor man. I thanked him for his concern though and we started chatting. He told me excitedly that he was going to be a grandparent again and that they had just found out the sex. As he walked with me to the shops he talked with pride about his daughter. My mood was buoyed by the encounter and I felt reassured to know that other members of the community are looking out for my children.

The second older gentleman stood from his seat and spoke kindly to me as he opened a heavy glass door while I was pushing the children in a trolley. He looked both compassionate and dignified as he held the door open for me. His small gesture felt large.

The third older gentleman was walking towards the shops as he saw me, toddler beside me, baby in the trolley, loading the last of the groceries into the boot of my car. He asked if I would like him to return my trolley. I was touched at this kind and practical deed. He'd only pushed it a few cars away when he unexpectedly stopped and retraced his steps, returning Emerson's forgotten dummy.

I'm still smiling this morning at the thought of their kindness.
I hope that this is the kind of man Cohen grows up to become.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...