Friday, August 9, 2013

Sponsor Spotlight - Hypnobirthing Brisbane

I thought a few fun questions would be a lovely way to get to know the people behind the blogs and shops that sponsor my blog (thus enabling my knitting and handmade addiction). My next guest in the 'Sponsor Spotlight' chair is Caitlin from Hypnobirthing Brisbane. Caitlin is a childbirth educator, nurse and mother who is passionate about enabling women to birth in a positive and empowering way. So please welcome Caitlin, and do pop over to her blog or facebook page for a visit and a little chat.
Hypnobirthing is... Reaffirming that birth is a natural event, hypnobirthing is a set of techniques that enable a mother to approach labour without fear and to believe that the birth of her baby will be a positive and empowering experience.  
The “hypno” part of hypnobirthing refers to the self-hypnosis that is practiced during pregnancy and is used during labour to help the mother relax, believe in her body, release the beta-endorphins that will help her to cope with the surges and then to euphorically bond with her baby.  The self-hypnosis brings about a deep, meditative state in which the mother is in tune with her birthing, feels confident and in control and is less likely to require interventions during the birth process.

Birthing a baby into the world and becoming a mother is an extraordinary moment, and hypnobirthing allows this event to be positively anticipated and celebrated.

My desire is to... I strongly believe that, if your pregnancy and birth are the positive events that you hope they will be, you will enter motherhood feeling confident and better able to cope.
I found that hypnobirthing enabled me to have a relaxed pregnancy, a natural birth and demonstrated that trusting my mothering instincts led to ideal outcomes for me and my baby.
It is truly my wish that every woman has the opportunity to experience the pregnancy and birth that she desires.
 
I discovered hypnobirthing... When I did it myself!
I wanted a natural birth and I found that the hypnobirthing techniques really worked for me.  
Hypnobirthing involves a very interesting combination of calm surrender and control.  
As a bit of a control freak I liked that I still had command over my body, my baby my birth. But I needed the breathing and relaxation techniques to enable me to release my mind and submit to my instincts. 
 
 
 
If I weren't a ---, I would quite like to be... My primary job is as a registered nurse but my dream job is to run a community birthing centre that would bring midwives, doulas, lactation consultants and other birthing educators and supporters together to care for women.
 
You may not know this but... I am an American who have been living in Australia for over six years.
The things I miss most about home...besides family and friends...are Mexican food, grocery stores and frozen yogurt!

Three books I recommend to expecting / new mothers are... Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley
Any of Ina May Gaskin's books are wonderful too...as is her movie Birth Story.
Also I thought Baby Love by Robin Baker was a fantastic common sense guide to mothering.
And if you want a bit of a laugh, The Best Friend's Guide to Pregnancy is hilarious is worth reading at any point in your pregnancy or mothering journey!

As a Mother I... I try to ensure that the time I spend with my toddler is time just for him.
I work three days a week so I try to make sure the two days that I have with him are special. This is not to say that we do special things...in fact most of our time spent together is doing very ordinary activities.  But I try to pay special attention to him.  To sit with him, to chat while we play trains, to listen to his little voice talking about all manner of things.  
I believe that he has a lot to teach me...and I try to be open to learning all of those lessons.

Before I was a Mother... I could blend in...now I feel like where ever I go I am a spectacle!  A mother, a toddler who is usually trying to squirm out of his pram, a dog who is usually chewing on her leash trying to get free.  I just sometimes feel like I take up so much room in the world!  I miss the days where I could easily slip in and out of places unnoticed.
 
-
 
Many thanks to Caitlin for supporting my blog this month.
If you are interested in being featured in a 'Sponsor Spotlight', please check out my Sponsor Info page or email me - christina-lowry@hotmail.com
Advertising spaces range from a tiny $5 - $12 for 30 days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...