Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Yarn Along

Yarn Along

The recent hints of Autumn vanished with the heat and humidity of the past few days. However, I have been holding on to the promise of Autumn with my knitting; while sitting in an air-conditioned room. And while I have been knitting, I have been making my way through the back catalogue of the wonderful free podcast, 'Stuff You Missed In History Class.' Clicking on the titles that appeal and settling in, those talented ladies have been keeping me entertained and filling my head with such fascinating facts as I knit. I'm much the wiser on such a diverse range of topics now, from the Hope Diamond, to the Domestication of the Cat. From Jane Austen to Frida Kahlo. From Mount Everest to Laura Ingalls Wilder. There is such a wealth of knowledge, my inner history geek is thrilled.

If you're new to the world of podcasts, and you have an iphone as I do, it's a simple matter of downloading the 'Podcast' app and typing the podcast title in to the search bar. Click on the podcast's logo, and choose from the list of episodes.

While speaking of technology, I have been converted, just a little, to the idea of reading a book on my phone. I don't own an eReader or the like. How I railed against the very thought of it! Until I couldn't get a library copy, or find an inexpensive copy, of our latest book club book, Walking on Trampolines. Instead I begrudgingly downloaded it though the iTunes store on my laptop, downloaded the iBook app, and proceeded to read it on my phone. And, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It meant I always had a book with me wherever I went, as I always tend to have my phone. This was handy as I rushed to Doctor and hospital appointments. Once I was used to it, I even curled up in bed with my phone and read during the children's nap times on the weekend. 

When I finished that book, I had in mind to read Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's most recent book, The Amazing Thing About the Way It Goes, thanks to Ginny's glowing recommendation. When I could not find it at my local library, and didn't want to wait to get is shipped to Australia, I went ahead and downloaded it too. (She's such a gem, that Yarn Harlot, isn't she?) While I still prefer a 'real' book, with real pages you can turn and crease. A real spine to bend and crack. A real and beautiful object on my bedside table, or thrown in to my handbag. I must now admit that there may just be room for the occasional downloaded book too...

Have you been converted too? 
Or are you a paper back and hard back lover all the way?

-

Joining in with Ginny.

PS. Don't forget, you can find me guest posting at the Bespoke zine blog all this week. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...