Monday, August 18, 2014

'North Coast Mud Trail' Collecting

+
+
+
+
+
+
Images 1, 2, 4, 5 Pinky and Maurice's studio. Image 3 Pebuku Pottery pieces. Image 6 in Lucy Vanstone's studio and gallery.

There's a mountain of laundry from our weekend away and a sink full of dishes waiting for attention, but the kettle has just boiled and the children are occupied, so I'm taking this moment to write. 

This past year I have noticed my fascination and appreciation for pottery has grown and grown. I remember seeing a gorgeous photo in Bridget Bodenham's Instagram feed a few months ago, of Kylie's pottery collection, and it made my heart sing. Practical and beautiful. I had a sudden urge to fill my shelves and cupboards with pottery and swear off mass produced serving ware. Oh, the allure of beautifully handmade, useful everyday items. 

While I love 'stuff' - vintage sewing baskets, antique teapots, and interesting bric-a-brac - there is only so much 'stuff' I can handle before it feels like clutter. My chaotic mind needs several clear surfaces in my home in order to feel at rest. I can't handle a table or kitchen bench covered in 'stuff', but I adore a set of shelves filled with items chosen one at a time for their individual beauty and merit. And so has begun my collection.

This past weekend we called a cabin home as we explored the north coast - in particular the Mud Trail, where potters generously open their studios to the public. I visited Catherine Lane, Pinky and Maurice, Pebuku Pottery and Lucy Vanstone. It was wonderful to peek in to the artists spaces, chat with the makers and even see them in action.

And add a few more items to my collection... 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...