Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A thrifty deck makeover

+
+
+
+
+
+
My little helper investigates the kitty food by the back door.

While the tradies came and went, working on the kitchen, the back deck became something of a dumping ground. Suddenly home to off cuts, bags of grout, piles of tools and a layer of plaster dust. Not very inviting, I can assure you. Once the kitchen was finished our poor deck and chairs looked a little worse for wear. While we have bigger plans for this space in the future, our budget has been well and truly been spent on the kitchen. So, I decided a thrifty makeover was in order,

I started by giving the chair covers a good soak and wash. I raided the linen closet for throws, tablecloths and spare cushions to throw on the couches. I gathered up spare pots from the shed and garden. The plants are mostly self sown seedlings and cuttings from the garden. I grabbed some tea light holders from my bedroom and made a driftwood mobile with sticks collected from our holiday at Yamba (a beautiful reminder for us). I came home from Ikea one day with a handy watering can, a tray that caught my eye and a few 99 cent pots. The chicken basket and woven planter are both op-shop finds. 

A few more plants and cushions, a few more op-shopped finds, and this comfy little space will feel even more homely. Simple, sweet and practical. And while Country Style won't be rushing over to photograph this space, I'm loving it. Now on to the front deck...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...