Thursday, April 30, 2009

Brisbane Stitches and craft show...

I had been counting down the days and day dreaming about mountains of fabric.
The day had finally arrived...
Once though the doors I was graciously handed a booklet and map which aided me in heading straight to the indie crafters stand, or Incubator section. There was Mixtape (I am already a subscriber, but I said an idiotic hello), Ink and Spindle, Two Cheese Please and Dear Fi just to start with! I was one excited and awed little craft-blogger! Oh, to meet all the people behind the blogs, to talk craft and buy good things.
I have to admit something. Almost 5 months of being attached to a baby and 'baby brain' have done nothing for my people skills. I admit it, I was rather socially challenged. I could hardly hold a conversation!
Nervous? Me?
Oh dear, guess I will just have to stick with blogging and hope that the people I spoke with don't think I'm strange....First thing on the first day seems to be a good time to take a pram, as it wasn't as busy as I had expected... (note to self for future reference)
Cohen was loving it, lots of lovely ladies were talking to him and playing with his toes or waving! He was looking at all the people and the colours. So was I! There were so fantastic displays all around the hall... These are all crocheted by Luisa De Santi... I took a photo as the camera guys were setting up. I seemed to run into them a lot during the day. I wonder where the footage is going to end up? On the news maybe? If so, I missed it last night as we went to a birthday dinner... It was so great to be able to see things in person that I have seen on blogs! Who wouldn't want a close up of Jodie's amazing selvedge creations? Luckily for me Jodie wasn't at the show, she is at a school camp, or I can only imagine I wouldn't have been able to talk to her either... I probably would have just stared in awe... and she would have thought me strange!
(Um, hi Jodie, if you are reading this. I um you erh, yes.)

I'd love to know who made this too, but I didn't see a sign... fabric birds and houses on a vinyl tree! Wonder if hubby would notice if I hung some bird houses on Cohen's walls?

This was my first purchase. I just couldn't resist these gorgeous little brooches by Kristen Doran! One for me, and one for my sister...

I think I probably embarrassed myself at her booth too...
(Do you like, Noni? If not, I'm sure I could bring myself to keep both!)
I have been coveting Ink and Spindles amazing hand printed fabric and brought two more pieces so the first piece I purchased won't get lonely...
(I haven't been able to bring myself to cut it yet, it is waiting for the perfect project!)
I was also lucky enough to be able to participate in Holly's stamp carving tutorial. Of course, once I had started carving Cohen decided it was time for a feed! Holly was a great instructor and I still managed to get one finished (remember: it was my first attempt!).
If you get the chance to attend the show, I highly recommend her workshops!
I brought a stamp pad and some more carving medium, so expect to see more stamps in the future!
Last year I went to a Craft show in October and there were two stalls with $3 and $3.50 fat quarters! Crazy I know. Sadly for me they were not at this show... As a result my dream of having a mountain of fabric has been down sized to a hill, but I am so in love with it all. Peppermint Stitches and Amitie were responsible for these purchases...
Who doesn't need some birds, elephants, robots and stripes?
Or perhaps some cars and flowers?
Who could resist birds...
cute animals...
and Russian dolls?
Not me.
I had a great day. Had I not run out of money, I might never have left!
PS. Check out Danielle's blog too. She was there and also did the stamp carving tutorial.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...