Monday, August 19, 2013

Big Hearted Business in Brisbane

Think I have a bit of a girl crush on the lovely, amusing and generous @clarebowditch ... So wonderful to see @paravent @alittlevintagedoll @yardagedesign @sarahrochford at the morning tea today. I'm feeling inspired and excited about the direction my han
+

For many years Clare Bowditch had a dream to 'teach creative people about business, and business people about creativity, in ways that make sense.' That dream is becoming a reality as her business venture, Big Hearted Business, grows. As a jeweller and one woman business, trying to make a carer from my creativity, I knew I wanted to hear the wisdom Clare has earnt on her own journey.  And so I eagerly attended the Brisbane Big Hearted Business morning tea, taking my place in the old theatre seats, surrounded by creative talent. I'm so pleased that I did.
 
With honesty, humour and generosity, Clare spoke about dreams, community, careers, marketing, networking and money. She asked, 'what is your dream'? A simple question to which I thought I already knew the answer. Funny how the simple questions can throw you. When I started to write it down, I was surprised by my response. She continued, discussing the process of growing that dream with "tiny consistent actions" and declaring that all successful businesses needed, "The three M's. Money, marketing and mental awesomeness."
 
I left the talk feeling energised and inspired, having reached new conclusions, ready to push myself out of my comfort zone. However, it was the post morning tea discussions with Kylie, Nic and Jennie that really cemented those thoughts and pushed me even further. Without Nic's suggestion, and Kylie and Jennie's encouragement, I may have continued to talk myself out of one dream in particular. I didn't think I was ready, I thought it was too soon, too big a financial gamble - but I am going to take the risk and apply for the Brisbane Finders Keepers markets. I'm really very excited about it, and nervous too. They may not accept my application. But I won't know unless I try!
 
So, if things go quiet around here it's because I am writing my application, working at the jewellery bench and designing my market table. You can keep up to date over on instagram. :)
 
PS. If you are interested in what I make, please join my mailing list to be the first to find out about shop updates and special offers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...