Friday, April 4, 2014

Three children, two bedrooms... advice please

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
1. 32 weeks pregnant 2. Feed me? 3 & 4. Custom make 5. My little love

With a three bedroom house and soon-to-be a family of five, I've been thinking about the logistics of the 'who sleeps where' situation. So far I have decided that Cohen (5) and Emerson (2) will stay where they are, while the new baby sleeps in a bassinet in our room. However, when baby begins to outgrow those lovely cane surrounds, she or he will then move in to Emerson's room, which is the smallest of the two bedrooms, and take over her cot. Emerson will move in with Cohen and they will share the larger room. 

I had thought of pairing up the sexes - if the baby was a boy then I'd eventually put him in Cohen's room with Cohen, or were it a girl, she and Emerson would take over the larger room. Then my Mum pointed out that a five year old and a baby would not a good combination make, especially with night feeds and the like. Instead my two good sleepers would be better off in a room together. So now I am thinking bunk beds, with a toddler rail on the bottom for Emerson. At two years of age, she currently sleeps in a cot, and by the time I anticipate she will be making the move, she will be a little over two and a half. Cohen was still in a cot at this age, so it could be interesting. 

Cohen is excited about the prospect of sleeping on the top of a bunk. Though I'm not sure the actual 'sharing' of the room part has sunk in yet. They fight like cats and dogs at times already, I can only imagine how we will go with them sharing a room! When I was quite young I shared a room with my twin sister. I remember loving it. I wonder how my parents remember it? When we were a little older my parents built an extension on the house and we secured our own rooms, though given Fiona's room was air conditioned and mine wasn't, you were still likely to find me camped out in there in Summer.

If only an extension were in the budget...

Did you share a room with your brother or sister as a child?
Do your children share?
I would love to hear your thoughts or advice, and put this Mama's mind at ease.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...